I don't know about you but the older I get, the harder it is for me to shop for others [On the other hand, it's getting easier and easier to shop for myself!]. I've seen holiday gift lists popping up all over the Internets, and since I just discovered Polyvore, I thought I'd put it to good use and create a list of gifts for the pie baker in your life. Remember, if you are nice to your pie baker, they will reciprocate and reward you with lots of vegan PIES! Consider leaving Santa a pie this year instead of boring old cookies.
1. Holiday Pie Bird How cute is this little chirper?
2. Pies and Tarts with Heart: Expert Pie-Building Techniques for 60+ Sweet and Savory Vegan Pies What can I say? I put a lot of heart into this book and these recipes. It's full of gorgeous photos and step-by-step instructions to help you overcome any crust-making phobia you might have. Most recipes are gluten-free or gluten-free-possible and many are kid-friendly and no-bake. I even include recipes for raw pies, frozen pies and pies that really have no right to call themselves pies – like Whoopie Pies and Boston Cream Pie.
3. Godinger Marcella Square Desert Plates These will make even the humblest, crumbliest pies look Martha Stewart-approvable.
4. Pie Bird I own about 5 of these cheerful little pie vents in different colors. For just $5, they make great stocking stuffers.
5. Dough Scraper I resisted buying one for years, but now I love mine and don't know how I managed without it. Besides being useful for scraping up bits of dough from your pastry mat, it's also a great tool for evenly slicing blocks of tofu and other soft foods.
6. Covered Pie or Cake Pedestal Elevate your pie – or cake, muffins or cupcakes. Putting anything in a glass case makes it seem even more special – sort of like a museum piece.
7. Mini Rolling Pin This mini is great for making smaller pies and tarts – when don't feel like pulling out [or cleaning up] the big guns. Mini rollers also great for making ravioli, cookies and for introducing the shorties to the fine art of pie baking.