|You can't beat borscht|
Incidentally, I was a guest on the Marilu Henner Show yesterday and she asked about the Vegan Dollar Store Challenge, so kudos to Melody for starting it. If you want to listen to the interview, you can do so here [I come in at around 36:00]. Marilu is such an inspiration and is so down-to-earth; in addition to being a famous, gorgeous actress, she is also a health food guru. Please check out her radio show.
Okay kids, here's the barszcz recipe. I think you'll love it because, in addition to being frugal [can't beat about 35 cents a serving], it's also pathetically simple. Enjoy!
Quickie Red Beet Soup [aka Dollar Store Borscht]
- 1 T oil [I used olive oil]
- 1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can red beets, drained and chopped [or 2-3 medium beets, peeled and sliced, or peeled and roasted; you can also use a combination of canned and fresh]
- 1 quart non-dairy milk [I used organic light soy milk from the dollar store]
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Loads of black pepper
- Salt, to taste [up to 1 tsp; this soup is bland without salt]
Serves 4, about 35 cents per serving [Caveat: if you don't shop at Whole Foods]
Heat oil in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add everything else and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until everything is soft, about 30 minutes.
immersion blender until smooth. Serve as is, or the way I enjoyed it growing up, with a few cooked potato chunks in the center of the soup.