|I had Artichoke Spread Hummus for lunch with baby carrots, and slices of apples [yes, apples!] and Persian cucumbers|
- Pot luck invite: "Oh, you're vegan. Can you bring the hummus?"
- Business lunch: "Don't worry! There are hummus sandwiches for you vegetarians."
- Dinner at a meat-centric restaurant: "We offer a hummus and pita appetizer. [How progressive are we?!]
|You eat with your eyes first. So treat yourself to a nicely presented meal.|
|Hummus is a whiz to make in a blender or food processor.|
ARTICHOKE DIP HUMMUS
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T tahini
- 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup canned, jarred or defrosted frozen artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup spinach or thawed, drained frozen spinach
- Up to ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Mix all ingredients, except water, in a food processor until they reaches a creamy, smooth consistency. Add water as needed, 1 T at a time, until you get the desired texture.
Serve with crudités, on crackers, as a sandwich spread, dip or my favorite way: as a protein-packed salad dressing.
|Pimp your hummus.|
10 NON-CLICHE HUMMUS IDEAS
Pimp your hummus! Replace the artichokes in my recipe with the following substitutions.
- Red Beet: 1 cup cooked chopped red beets will give you a nice magenta hummus. Perfect for kids and/or Halloween.
- Pesto: 1 cup packed basil and substitute almond butter for the tahini.
- Masala: Skip the veggies. In addition to the cumin, add 1-2 tsp garam masala.
- Ass Kickin' Hot: Add 1 chopped, seeded jalapeño pepper.
- Guacamole: Skip the olive oil. Instead add the flesh of one medium avocado, 1/2 chopped onion and 1 finely chopped, seeded Roma tomato.
- Roasted Veggie: A great way to use up 1 cup of leftover roasted vegetables like eggplant, peppers and cauliflower.
- Hot Date: Add about 1/2 cup pre-soaked, pitted dates [skip cumin and add a pinch of cayenne, if it suits you]. This makes a more kid-friendly dip.
- Fennel: Add 1 cup cooked fennel and maybe some organic lemon zest, too.
- Crab[less] Cake Hummus: Skip the cumin and add up to 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Island Hummus: Skip the cumin and add up to 2 tsp Caribbean-style curry powder. Serve with dried plantains
Betty Goes Vegan contest winners
Thanks to everyone for entering. Congratulations....[drumroll]....Lizzie Bordello and the Painted Moonkin. Email me your addresses and we'll send your copies pronto!