|I love trying non-nonsense, back-of--bag recipes.|
The other day, I was cooking up some dried garbanzos and noticed a recipe for "Chick Peas, Spanish Style" on the back of a bag of La Cena dried garbanzos. The flavors sounded intriguing, and I happened to have some Helen's Vegan Chorizo and the other ingredients in the 'fridge. It turned out to be even tastier than I imagined.
Spanish-Style Chickpeas [modified from the La Cena recipe]
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, cooked until tender [Or about 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained]
- 1 T olive oil [La Cena called for 1/2 cup – too much even for me!]
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped [Bag says green but any color is fine]
- 5 garlic cloves [Bag says 2, but that's not enough for me]
- 1 link vegan chorizo, or about 1 cup, chopped or crumbled [Veganized, obviously]
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste [Optional]
Cook your chickpeas according to package directions or your preferences. Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Saute onion, pepper and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chorizo and stir to coat, cooking for about 5 more minutes.
Add tomato sauce and cooked chick peas. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.