But all this "busy fun" doesn't leave much time for vegan weeknite cooking. Last week, I felt bored with my usual rotation of quickie summer weeknight dinners. Inspired by a package of Fakin' Bacon that I'd bought on sale, I made myself a TLT – tempeh, lettuce and tomato – in less than 10 minutes.
You simply pan-fry the tempeh bacon in a bit of oil, toast some whole grain bread, slather each side with Veganaise, then build your sandwich, layering the veggies and tempeh. If you're not pressed for time, you can make your own tempeh bacon. Isa Chandra Moskowitz includes a fab recipe in her freshman book, Vegan with a Vengeance.
I am so thrilled to have rediscovered this diner-inspired sandwich. Despite its humble three-letter name, the TLT tastes complex: the juxtaposition of textures [grains, crunchy lettuce, succulent tomatoes] and flavors [smoky, sweet, nutty, creamy] perform a heartfelt happy dance on your palette. And TLTs are just the beginning – the variations are limited only by your imagination.
I'll share 10 other vegan tempeh sandwich combo ideas, right after a word from our sponsors: Bossa Nova, Pablo and Buttons.
|Sometimes Pablo and Bossa Nova get into a fight and have to sit in the penalty box.|
Buttons is getting older. My vet guesstimates she's in her late teens. She was ill for a few months but is doing much better and is happy to be spending her retirement with us. She loves to cuddle. Hard to believe this is the kitty who hid behind the water heater for weeks.
|Pablo says "Take time to smell the eggplants."|
And now back to our regularly scheduled blog post. I give you 10 more, three-letter vegan tempeh sandwich combo ideas. Remember: vegan food doesn't have to be complicated or involved. Try one of these no-brainers, and add your own ideas as comments.
1. TAO: Not quite as Eastern as it sounds – tempeh bacon, avocado and Vidalia onion.
2. TNT: Tempeh bacon, nachos, and tomatoes. Add a bit of hot sauce to your Vegenaise. Crunchy and spicy!
3. TAB: Tempeh bacon, sliced apple and sliced beets. Sweet and creamy.
4. TOC: Tempeh bacon, oregano, vegan cheddar cheese. Keep it simple, sweetheart.
5. TEA: Tempeh bacon, edamame [slightly mashed] and alfalfa sprouts. Packed with protein!
6. TOM: Tempeh bacon, olives [sliced] and lightly sauteed mushrooms. Belly buster.
7. TAD: Tempeh bacon, apricot jam, dandelion greens. Add a pinch of curry powder to your Vegenaise. A tad [groan) reminscent of a chutney.
8. TAZ: Tempeh bacon, arugula, zucchini [raw, thinly sliced].
9. TAG: Tempeh bacon, artichoke hearts [drained and dried slightly with a paper towel], garlic [minced and stirred into your Vegenaise. Also add Mediterranean herbs like dried or fresh basil and oregano]
10. TTT [aka, Triple T]: Tempeh bacon, tomato, vegan tzatziki. You can skip the Vegenaise.