|The secret of a crispy hash brown? Squeeze out as much water as you can.|
Celebrate Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes on the TODAY Show Web Site
|Fig-Pecan Stuffed Acorn Squash from Celebrate Vegan. Get the recipe on the TODAY Show web site.|
- Fig-Pecan Stuffed Acorn Squash [My recipe]
- Seitan with Apples and Quince [My recipe]
- Chocolate-Swirl Cheesecake [My recipe]
- Wilted Kale Super Salad [Sarah's recipe]
- Savory Shepherd's Pie with Mushroom Gravy [Sarah's recipe]
- Wolffie's Pumpkin Pie [Sarah's recipe]
"1-1-1" Lower-Fat Hash Browns
- 1 potato, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper
First, using cheesecloth or a clean linen tea towel, squeeze all the water from the taters. All of it. Till your hands hurt. This will make for a crispy hash browns.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium. Spread the hash browns in an even layer and season with salt and pepper.
Here's where the patience comes in. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Resist the urge to peek any sooner. Go brush your teeth and make the bed. Put a load of laundry in. After about 10 mins, gently lift the browns with a spatula to see if they're golden on the bottom. If not, cook a few more minutes, If they are golden, gently flip them, cook for 10-15 minutes on the other side. Eat as is or with ketchup.