Baked Potato with Steamed Broccoli and Vegan Cheese Sauce
Not only can the humble baked potato can save you from succumbing to the take-out menu; everyone also seems to love baked taters' carby comfort factor– even kidlets. The potato above is topped with steamed broccoli and the Cheese Sauce from Joann Stepaniak's The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes.
Here are 10 baked potato topping ideas to get you started. Your imagination is the only limit. Please add your own favorites as comments.
- Sliced avocadoes, black beans, cumin, coriander and salsa [Tater Mexicana]
- Vegan tapenade and nutritional yeast [aka, "nooch"]
- Steamed cauliflower, cumin and garam masala [Deconstructed aloo gobhi]
- Roasted red peppers, garlic and vegan cheese
- Spinach sauteed in garlic and olive oil, nooch and plenty of fresh-ground black pepper
- Leftovers! Think, crumbled-up veggie burgers, day-old stews, and casseroles that need pimping
- Seitan, vegan gravy, fresh ground pepper, and peas [Comfort food]
- Crumbled, steamed tempeh or Fakin' Bacon, olives, and olive oil
- Chili [including Chocolate Chipotle Chili from my cookbook]
- Asparagus with vegan Hollandaise Sauce